2008 Windows Domain - Unable to browse \\servername\share from 1 server - Unspecified Error 0x80004005 - Random issue
So first of all, I'm not sure where to post this, so I'm just going to post in the General forum. If it belongs in a better category, please allow me to move it there and I will. Here's the medium-length version of the issue. I have a client with a Windows 2008 Domain with approx 10 servers. 2 of the servers are 2008 R2 RDS servers, with one of them being the connection broker using DNS round-robin for load balancing. The other servers are a mixture of 2008 and 2003. The 3 servers in question here are the 2 RDS servers in the new RDS farm, and 1 2003 server that is sharing folders for drive mappings. Once in a great while, and it appears to be totally random, users logged into one of the RDS servers-the one that's not the connection broker-are unable to map drives to \\server and are also unable to use explorer to browse to \\server (\\server being the 2003 file share server I mentioned above). It comes back with a "Network Error: Windows cannot access \\server. Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try and identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose. Details are Unspecified Error: 0x80004005". Of course, Diagnosing can't find anything. Let me also say that when this issues happens, I see the same behavior while logged into the RDS server as domain admin. I am able to PING the file share server by name and IP, and can also browse to it by IP, but when I try to browse to it by \\servername, it gives above error. Now, I have worked around the issue in the past by just adding an additional drive mapping to the login script to include both \\servername\share and \\serverIP\share, and that has worked in the past....until today. This morning, users weren't able to get mapped drives to either \\server or \\IP. Instead of delving into another world of issues, I'd like to get the initial issue resolved and I think that may clear up the rest. Why in the world would one of my RDS servers not be able to browse to another server on the same network by \\servername? Clearly DNS is working, because I can ping that same server by its DNS name, and IP. I can browse to the server by IP address, but not by name (well, until this morning, but again, I'm going backwards to try and solve original issue). I have tried rebooting file share server to no avail. Rebooting RDS server seems to clear it up, but this is not a practical 'solution' in my client's eyes (mine either). My next step is to have him (client) re-install Client for Microsoft Networks in the NIC adapter properties of the RDS server experiencing the issues. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what else to try. TCP\IP NeBIOS helper service is Automatic and running on both RDS servers, and on file share server. Computer Browser service disabled on both RDS servers, but Automatic and running on file share server. Not sure what else to check. Someone please save me!! Thanks in advance to anyone who took the time to read this lengthy post :)
June 3rd, 2011 5:41pm

Hello, let's start with an unedited ipconfig /all from the DC/DNS servers and the file server and a client with access problems.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 5th, 2011 4:33pm

Hi, I would like to suggest you use another machine to browse the server by name and tell us the result. Then, upload the ipconfig /all results according to the above response. It seems that the Host (A) resource records of the problematic servers are missing. I suggest we manually add the Host (A) resource records back. Refer to the links below: Add a Resource Record to a Zone http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730624.aspx Please make sure the Network Discovery is turned on. Refer to the link below to enable Network Discovery on the problematic servers: Enable or disable network discovery http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Enable-or-disable-network-discovery If Windows Firewall is on, please turn it off as well. Besides, the following KB articles can be reference to troubleshoot the issue: Error message when you access the shared resources in a cooperation network over a VPN connection from a Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008-based client computer: "0x80004005" or "0x80070035" http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;958285&sd=rss&spid=11914 Error message when you try to install or start the Network Policy Server role service in Windows Server 2008 R2: "Error 0x80004005 Unspecified error" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981478 Regards, Cecilia Zhou -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 8th, 2011 6:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics